December 18, 2008

My Only Good Bird Photo


OK.  So it’s not a Steve, Steve, Steve or Tim bird shot (four guys in Bay Area Photo Club who take outstanding bird photographs).   Why is this my only good bird photo?   Because it is not a photograph of the wrong end!   Every bird in North America knows that one millisecond before I hit the shutter, they are required to turn around and show me their “leaving view.”   It does not make for a good photograph.

Camera settings:   Nikon D200, 70-200mm f/2.8 with a 1.7 teleconverter at 340mm, shot at ISO 200, f/8 and 1/250 of a second on a tripod

Post Processing:   Lightroom—set white and black point, added mid-tone contrast, changed hue of green background, and increased saturation of reds. 

4 comments:

  1. Great shot Patrick!

    You have exactly one "good bird shot" more than me! :-)

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad, but don't give up your day job. Look forward to more tries in the future.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this bird photo was pretty good until I went to the Bay Area Photo website. After that, I have to agree with Steve, don't give up your day job. You guys have some really good photographers. The guys doing birds are outstanding. My hats off to you and your club.
    George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless you have tried to do birds, don't knock it. I like the shot. Good composition and color combination.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete