December 4, 2008

Making Art vs. Taking Pictures







Over the past few days I have been reading post from three of my favorite blogs—Moose Peterson, Craig Tanner and Scott Kelby.  The postings were about different subject:  Moose, don’t take your photography too seriously, have fun, it’s just a picture; Craig (in Daily Critique on HDR, you will have to register on his website to see the Daily Critique), accepting new forms of photograph and making art rather than taking a picture; and Kelby, (guest blogger for day), showing how he created different images.  

These blogs reminded me of a day I spent in Naches, Mississippi earlier this year with one of my friends.   I was setting on a bench feeling very frustrated because I did not like anything that I had shot all morning—the subject was not really that good, the lighting was too harsh, the colors did not seem to work together, etc., etc., etc.  The only creativity that I was using was to make up excuses as to why I had not taken a decent photos.   I then decided to give myself an assignment:  MAKE five photographs within 50 feet of where I was sitting that I would be willing to share with other photographers.   I immediately stopped looking and started studying my surroundings.   All of a sudden, I saw lots of photos-to-be.

Today, I am going to depart from my usual format.  I am not going to discuss a single photograph—the camera settings and the post processing.   Basically, all the photographs were taken with my Nikon D3 with a Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 lens and I did a little work in Lightroom and used a few (or no) nik Color Efex Pro or Silver Efex Pro filters on them.

Enjoy.  And go out there and make some art!

PS-After I posted this I visited Steve Schuenke's blog and found a really cool photograph and Steve noting some of the same things I discussed here.  Go check it out!  In case I forget (I am old) to post it on his blog, "Steve, I like your photograph.  It is so interesting on so many levels:  color, movement and new photographic technique to explore.  Thanks."



7 comments:

  1. Great photos Patrick!

    I love low key and "gritty" shots in general and your compositions and post-processing are terrific! I doubt you could have done better even if you had allowed yourself to walk 100 feet. :-)

    Keep up the good work!

    Cheers,
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pix.I like your idea of giving yourself an assignment.I often just wonder around thinking a pix will flyup and appear in my viewfinder.Keep up the good work.
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Barry, you did a great job limiting yourself to only 50 feet. I did notice that a saloon was very close to your starting point. Good shots. Good assignment. Your point is excellent, we need to make the photo, not wait for it to magically appear on our sensor.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how you can often find a lot of things to photograph if you just slow down and really look. I do not think any of the photographs, on their own, are outstanding, but when you consider the assignment, they become outstanding. I wish you would have completed them in the same format, like a mini-body-of-work. Keep up your post. I enjoy keeping up with you through them.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continue Reading replica bags ru get more replica bags wholesale india wikipedia reference replica bags online pakistan

    ReplyDelete