November 9, 2009

Near Sunset


While on our way to South Dakota this summer, we stopped near this mountain range one evening. I really like the way there seemed to be three areas of the photo: the blue sky, the golden light hitting the rocks and finally the shadow area.

I just tired to keep the whole thing simple.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at 28mm shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/15th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, added clarity.

7 comments:

  1. Like the way the light sets the mountain off from the sky. The orange and blue is a great color combination.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never get tired of a shot like that. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Barry. No matter how many photos that I see like this one, I still look at them. I think it soothes the soul. Nice combinations.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. There is something special about that area and the west in general and you got it here.

    I can smell the air and hear the sounds.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen many scenes like this in my travels through Utah and Nevada. I always love seeing them. The golden light looks so rich when it hits these formations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many people might think a photo like this is heavily doctored, but being someone who has traveled in the western parts of the US, I can assure them that I have seen this scene many times over. I can image sitting, sipping a beer and watching the colors change. Thanks for the reminder of how beautiful the US is.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!

    One of my all time favorite mountain shots!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete