November 13, 2009

At the End of a Long Hike

One day while in Torres del Paine national park, I went on a long hike with a group of guys (while the ladies treated themselves to a day at the spa). The hike had many interesting views, but the end of the hike was a view of this mountain. Although this photo may not be as spectacular as the previous ones I posted, I felt that I had to include it here—after all, how else would I prove that I was there.

I wanted this photo to show how the whole scene looked so hostel to a wimp from Texas.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D200, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 at 200mm with polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 400, f/8 and 1/180th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast.

7 comments:

  1. This photo almost has a mystic Lord of the Rings quality to it. Not sure that is what you intended but that is what I think when I look at the photo. I think you got the perspective that you wanted in the photo.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as striking scene as your two previous posting, but probably better done as far as your vision of what you wanted the photo to do. I agree with Debbie about the mystic quality of this one.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This shot does have a mystical and dark, moody tone to it. I can relate to the Lord of the Rings effect Debbie mentions. I love the cool, brooding feel to the photo. It almost appears that the light is trying to enter the scene but is doing battle with the dark nature of the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would assume from your shooting data that you intentionally underexposed this photo. Good decision. It adds to the effect.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is my favorite of the last three, and for the same reasons as everyone else. Hobbits, and Elves,and Dwarfs.. Oh My.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo has a unreal nature to it. Not sure what you did but I think it is effective.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Barry, easily my favorite of the three... But I like dark brooding images too. Veeeery Niiiice ( in my best Borat voice)....

    ReplyDelete