November 17, 2009

Getting the Shot

I happened to be downtown Houston a few weeks ago during one of the many charity runs. I started to photograph some of the runners, but for some reason I became board very quickly. I switched over to my street photography mode.

I came across this EXCELLENT photographer. How do I know he is an excellent photographer? Look at his equipment. How could he not be?

I took about ten shots of this young man, and to be honest, I do not think he ever knew I was there. I wanted this shot to be totally about his concentration on getting the shot.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 at 70mm with shot at ISO 200, f/5.6 and 1/180th.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast.

Photoshop—used nik Silver Efex Pro to convert to black and white.

8 comments:

  1. The composition is good. You have your subject that everyone can see what he is doing and then you have the legs of runners which places your subject. Black and white almost always works best for street photography.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Larry. I would echo The Professor's comments and add that the pano format was a good choice here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe photographers would lay on the ground to take a photograph, but seeing is believing that is unless you somehow photoshopped this one. The photo does tell a story.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen Mr. Patrick in some equally uncomfortable positions to get a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, you obviously know Larry, but in reality, the only time he is uncomfortable is when he DOES NOT GET THE SHOT! Good example of what us crazy photographers do.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would think something was wrong with Larry if he didn't lie down to get at least one shot from that perspective. I've done it quite regualr to get shots of little kids.

    Good job on capturing something many would not think to shoot. The photo is able to explain why he's down there and also continue your bias towards Nikon gear (Smiley face goes here).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed, photographers are crazy. This might be a good series for a week of posting: "Crazy Things Photographers Do."
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  8. With out any explanation the shot tells the story. Perhaps.....only what a Nikonian can :-). I like the conversion to black and white, great shot!
    David A.

    ReplyDelete