September 3, 2010

Back to JD’s Garden


A couple weeks ago JD was visiting her niece in Colorado and I was getting back from a portrait session when I spotted this spider and his/her web between two trees.  I had not done any macro photography in a long time, so I decided to try and get a few good photos of the spider and the web.
I dragged out a step latter and then got the big idea that I could use my Elinchrom lights to get a lot of depth-of-field.  Now, I want you to image this crazy photographer standing on a step latter with a big softbox to light my subject—a small spider.  I was quite surprised that the spider did not go scrambling across his web.
After many, many shots, I finally started getting the type of shots that I wanted—plenty of depth of field and an interesting background that would help tell the “rest of the story.”
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3 Nikon 105mm f/2.8, ISO 200, f/14 and 1/80th of a second with Elinchrom large softbox at camera left.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom—set white and black point, increased contrast with a tone curve adjusted hue and saturation of various colors.
Photoshop—used nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast filter enhance detail in the spider and the web.

12 comments:

  1. Cool photo. Looks like you could reach out and touch the spider.
    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unusual spider image --- I have never seen a background like that in such a close-up shot of a spider, and no wonder after reading your information. Was the spider in shade and you needed the added flash to separate it from the background? Since spiders will stay pretty still for a while at a time, the option of just using a long shutter speed with f 14 would have made the background too bright?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The background is makes this photo. It puts the spider in context and provides an excellent colorful pallet to show him off. I do wish more of the web was in focus.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding. You did yourself proud on this one.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen any macro shots quite like this one. Not sure what to make of it. I am accustom to seeing a simple background which would make the spider easier to see. I am going to have to think about this one.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have actually been viewing a lot of macro shots lately. This one is not of the norm. It is an unusal background...different but not over powering. There is still a clear subject. I like what you have here...however, the left side of the picture keeps drawing me over there to try and figure it out. If it was gone my eyes stay on the spider. There is enough web to let you know it's there. It's not about the web. You put a lot into it and the results are unique..good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the background is trees, but not completely sure. Like what you have done. Different. Makes me look at the whole image more closely. Like your description. You said big softbox. How big is big?
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had an issue getting my comment to stick, right about the time David A. must have been commenting. Funny thing, I agree with all his comments and had written pretty much the same stuff he did.

    The background is different, but it works here. Also, the spider is clearly the subject, not the web. You can see it, but it's not the subject of the photo.

    I have the same issue with the far left tree. Once it's gone my eyes stay on the spider. Otherwise, they keep getting pulled to the left side of the frame. Maybe a portrait mode shot would have taken care of that. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to add earlier that this is a Golden Silk spider, commonly called Banana spiders. Their webs are golden yellow and typically very high in the trees, as much as 15-20 feet up. They will make their webs lower than that, many times just high enough to freak you out when you hit it with your head and you look up to see this huge spider at your head.

    The webs are pretty sturdy and don't just fall apart like the ones you typically see made by other spiders. You will know when you hit one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific macro. Different treatment gives added interest to the whole image. Not bothered by the tree on the left.
    Sya

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not like most macro images of insects but this one has caught my fancy. Good work.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete