May 18, 2010

Not the Image That I Saw


You must admit, this guy’s hair would get your attention.  And, that is exactly what it did for me.   I saw the hair and I was in pursuit.  He was moving rather quickly through the crowd and I was quickly following him.  He finally slowed enough so that I could get close enough to get a few shots off.
It was only when the images appeared on my computer monitor that I saw the real image in the photo—the reaction the man and boy are having to THE HAIR.  Looking at the dad, you just know he is thinking:  “please, not my son.”  The boy, in turn, is just thinking:  “That’s pretty weird.”
I wished that I had seen their reaction when I took the photo.  I might have been able to get a few frames with the father and son in focus so that I could have blended the two frames.  I think that was the photo; but, at last, I missed it.  Maybe next time.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 50mm f/1.4 shot at ISO 900, f/9.5 and various 1/60th of a second.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom—Set black and white points, cropped photos, and changed and added saturation of certain colors.
Photoshop—performed various cloning to remove small, unwanted elements and used nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast to enhance the details in the hair of the subject.

10 comments:

  1. The picture says it all. I'm not sure it even requires the man and boy being in focus to complete the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you caught the father with honest fear. I think every parent has a reaction like this at one time or another. Good job.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice capture Patrick!

    Looks to me like the man and boy are reacting to you! :-)

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great street photography. You captured people doing normal things. The father's and son's reaction is great. Nice work
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one tells a story. I can identify with the father since I have three small boys and I just know one of them will be like this guy. Why did you have to show me this photo?
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this one, for a change.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the shot Larry, nice capture. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the shot would still work even if cropped of part of the main subject [ the wild hair ] just tight enough to eliminate the woman on the left. Too me this MIGHT strengthen the shot by simplifying it and increasing focus on the father and son reaction. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure how you get these types of photos but glad you do. This right out of 1950s style of street photography, capturing the people in public places doing what comes natural to them. This is a winner.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I like this one. It reminds me of the days my son was going through a similar time. I think the fathers and boys reaction was very similar to mine. Nice work seeing this.
    Sya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like it but it makes me nervous since I have a son about the age of the boy shown in the photo. Don't do any more like this, please.
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete