May 7, 2010

Big Eyes


The dragonflies were out in force yesterday.  There were lots of subjects, but most of them were just a little too skittish to get a good photo.  Finally, this guy landed and was most cooperative.
I took a few “safe” shots to make sure that had something in the bag.  I then kept creeping closer to see how close this guy would let me get.  The photo is slightly cropped.  I wanted to show off his big baby greens.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3x, Nikon 300mm f/4 with a 1.7x teleconverter and extension rings at ISO 400, f/13 and 1/60th of a second on a tripod.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom—Set black and white points, changed hue of certain colors and added clarity and vibrance.

7 comments:

  1. You pulled in pretty close with this one. Love how you got the structure of its eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a lot. I see dragonflies like this one around my house but had no idea that their eyes looked like that. Gives me a new appreciation of the little guys.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool image. I like really closeups because they show me things that I cannot see with my naked eye. Good colors.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great macro. Like the colors and the details.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not the type of photo you normally see. The colors and the sharpness is great.
    Sya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not very good. Seen many photos like this one.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how big my eyes would be if they were proportional to his eyes. Good job capturing his eyes.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete