March 26, 2010

Spring Flowers #2

Today’s flower shot is a little different. There were two things I was trying to do: have two flowers as my main subject (which I do not like to do, because I find myself looking from one to the other, without ever landing on “the subject”); and, overexpose the background and just apply a little light to the main subjects in order to make it stand out from the background.

I used two Nikon SB-800s (triggered using Nikon’s CLS) to light the background flowers and then used a reflector to direct light on the two flowers that were my main subject. One of the Nikon SB800s was camera right and pointed towards the center of the flowers and the other Nikon SB800 was pointed towards the back of the two flowers in the front.

Generally, I was not happy with my results. I felt that there was just not enough separation between the subjects and background. As I have said many times, red/orange/yellow are hard colors to control but I did think this approach would achieve what I wanted.

After trying several different things (none of which were working), I finally settled on a black and white treatment. I used nik Silver Efex Pro with an orange filter (to brighten the red/oranges/yellows in the photo) to convert the photo to black and white. The final results has almost an infrared look to it.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 shot at ISO 200, f/3 and 1/2000th of a second.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set black and white points.

Photoshop—used nik Silver Efex Pro to convert image to black and white using a orange filter.

8 comments:

  1. neither one of the photos does anything for me. Try again.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  2. The B&W version provides more of the separation you were looking for in the two photos. I think you did a pretty good job with that rendition turning two flowers into one subject, which is pretty difficult to do.

    Charles M, quit sucking on lemons. It's getting old for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Patrick!

    Personally I like the color version better. Not sure I can say exactly why though. Maybe it's just because I have seen enough tulips to know that they are colorful which makes me miss the color in the B&W version.

    Also I don't have any problem with two or more subjects in a photo. If this was a portrait of two people wouldn't it be OK for your eye to go back and forth between them in the photo? I mean isn't that what should happen with two or more subjects?

    Really nice composition and lighting as well!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot say which of the versions I like best. They each have something going for them. But, unlike Charles, I love flowers.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the two images, they are so different that it is hard to image that they come from the same exposure. I like the BW version because it has a surreal quality about it. Nicely done.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do seem to be able to do a lot of things with the same subject. I like the color version. It seems to fit better with the subject. How do you get your lighting ideas.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Doug has had enough of Charles M. I see what you were trying to do, however, I am not sure you did it in either the color or the black and white version. To me, the subjects lack impact in relation to the background; in fact, I really find the background more interesting than the subjects.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like the colors and lighting so mark me down for theeee....B/W.

    ReplyDelete