March 9, 2010

Midway Lights

After finishing up my final assignment, I spent a little time wondering around midway of the rodeo fair. The lights of the midway are always fun to photograph.

In this photo, I wanted to really bring out the bright lights and color of the booth versus the somewhat subdued background. I sat on the ground so that I would have an upward view of the booth. I did not do a very good job framing the photo. I should have left more room to left of the couple in the red coats walking towards me.

Topaz Adjust has just released a free upgrade—Topaz Adjust 4. I downloaded the upgrade last week and this photo provided me an excellent opportunity to try a few of the new presets that are included in the plug-in.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at 35mm shot at ISO 200, f/6.7 and 1/30th of a second.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set black and white points.

Photoshop—used Topaz Adjust Specify preset.

9 comments:

  1. Your photo brings back childhood memories of visiting the county fair. I love the warm colors of the booth and the cool colors of the background. I enjoyed.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the colors and how they pop throughout the whole photo. The people to the left don't really bother me. I don't think they actually add anything to the scene for me. I think I would actually like it without them, where my eye just goes all the way back to the ferris wheel without that stopping point. Nice capture of a scene most of us remember as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors and composition! Inclusion of the ferris wheel in the background really adds a lot to the shot IMO!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we all have been to a county fair and all of us have fond memories of it. This photo brings them back. I must admit, it looks like it was cold (red coats) and windy (top of booth has motion blur). I thought Texas was warm?
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. The right side of the photograph has lots of color and lots of interest, however, the left side seems to be lacking both. Was that your intent? The contrast between the two does not work that well for me.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colors and the details in the booths are great as is the contrast between the warm colors of the subject and the background. I hope you got some photos of the stools. They are a great subject.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You finally posted a nice photo. I want more like this one.
    Charles M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Striking photo. Makes me want to go to a fair. Thanks.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the basic composition points you to the ferris wheel in the background. The warm tones of the booth are set off nicely by the cool tones of the background, a classic landscape approach to drawing the viewers' attention to the subject. Although, at first blush, this looks like a candid photo taken on stroll around the midway, upon closer study, you can see how this was a carefully planned photo. Good work.
    Mary A.

    ReplyDelete