April 1, 2012

Emili and Jordon Shoot #4


I intended to post this photo on Friday, but, I must not be able to read a calendar so you are getting it today.
I took photos of Jordon before I took those of Emili.  When I was taking Jordon’s photos, I keep looking at this location of a bicycle rack with no bikes in it (first photo) and saying to myself that there was a photo here, but, even though I tried a few things with Jordon, nothing panned out.
This photo came about because Emili mentioned that she could do the splits.  Half joking, I suggested that she do it on the bike rack.  I do believe that she thought “this guy has a few screws loose.”  She is right, of course, but this "crazy talk" gave me the idea to have her lay on the rack.  I did it first to make sure that it was not too uncomfortable, and, it was not.
In this photo, I intentionally blew-out (over exposed the light portions so that there was no details left in the highlights) the background on the left.  I did this because I wanted the photo to have a light feeling to it and I did not have sufficient dynamic range to capture both the left side and the right side of the background.  I wanted to only get her face in focus so I selected an aperture of f/4.
I was laying flat on the ground and shooting her at a slight upward angle.  I positioned my light so that it came from the left and was sufficient just to open-up the shadows on the right side of her face.
Overall, I was please with the photo, but as I look at it, I wished that I done one thing.  Can you guess what that one thing is?
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 85mm f/1.4 at ISO 200, f/4 and with shutter speeds 1/60th of second with an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra flash with a 17” beauty dish attached.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom 4—set white point, added clarity and vibrance, used adjustment brush to add details to eyes and hair and soften skin.

2 comments:

  1. Place her hands differently or do something with her feet (like have her take her shoes off).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea as to what you would change. I do like the photo and admire how you saw that there was a photo to be had.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete