April 13, 2012

Visitor to Our Porch



Our house has a screened-in porch that runs along the back of the house.  The other day, I discovered this fellow (?) on the back of a chair on the porch.  I thought that our visitor would be a great study of depth-of-field so I attached my Nikon 105mm Macro lens and started to try different things with him.
There was not a lot of light on the porch so I was forced to use a high ISO and a slow shutter speed with the stopped-down apertures that I was using.  I also did not want to disturb the frog, so I set my camera to shoot in DX format, which had the effect of changing my 105mm lens to a 150mm lens and making the files smaller and did not use any flash.
The first photo shows the overall scene and was shot at f/27 and 1/15th of s second.  The second photo was at f/36 and 1/4th of a second.  You will notice that even at these stopped-down apertures, the depth of field is still quite small.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3 on a tripod, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 at ISO 6400, (top photo)  f/27 at 1/15th of a second and (bottom photo) f/38 at 1/4th of a second.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom 4—increased clarity and added vibrance on the frog.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty amazing how clean the photos are at that ISO. Fortunately, your subject cooperated by not moving while you moved into position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bokah is great especially against all his details.
    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Doug. It is amazing how clean these are at ISO 6400. Good details in both photos.
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete