February 10, 2012

Oilfield Worker


I am fascinated with ordinary working people.  I am currently working on a body of work of such people.  Based upon my start, this may be a very long venture.
In November, I was hired to photograph men working on a workover drilling rig for an oilfield equipment company.  After the shoot, I asked a few of the men to pose for me.
I was really impressed with this young man during the shoot.  When he was not working, his nose was in a school book.  I asked him about it and he said:  “I screwed up in school.  Didn’t work at it.  Didn’t learn much.  Don’t want to work like this the rest of my life, so, I got to learn what they were trying to teach me in school if I want to have a better life.”
Well said.
Enjoy 
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, ISO 200, Nikon 85mm f/1.4, f/8 and 1/125th of a second with Elinchrom Ranger Quadra head with 17” beauty dish attached.
Post Processing:
Lightroom 3: Set black point, and added contrast with a mild curve.
Photoshop CS5: Used nik Color Efex filters Detail Enhancer, Tonal Contrast and B&W to bring out details within subjects hair and clothing and dodged and burned various areas of photo.

2 comments:

  1. I dig this.. very nice photo.
    Taking photos of the gear is great and all but being able to capture the people that work in these environments is awesome.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. over at this website check my site imp source directory check this site out straight from the source

    ReplyDelete