August 19, 2011

What I Did on My Vacation #4


Before getting to today’s photos, an answer to a question that I got on the last post: how do I get such rich, saturated colors?  Two things contribute to the saturated colors: (1) almost all of the photos that I took on vacation were taken with a polarizing filter; and, (2) I generally underexpose my photos by ½ to 1½ stops.  Underexposing the photo will keep you from washing-out the colors.
Today’s subject is iguana.  Little doubt about it, iguanas are not exactly pretty, but they do have character—like an old, wrinkled man.  I have no idea how many different species of iguanas there are but it seems like every island in the Galapagos had at least three or four different ones.
In photographing the iguanas, I tried to emphasize their textured skin and their bright distinct colors.  To me, the real trick of getting a decent iguana photos was isolating them from the background.  Of course, that means getting ground-level and looking at the iguana eyeball to eyeball.
Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. WOW! You have a new product line to add to your photography business, iguana portraits.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like all of them.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How and to whom would you advertise "iguana portraits"? I bet you could capture the market really fast.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the photos look like you posed the iguana. You have separated them from their background and showed their texture. Good job.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good captures and processing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I like the last one the best. The out of focus plants in front of the iguana gives it a unique look. Thanks for the color saturation info.
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice showcase of iguana portraits. I especially like the second one. He looks like he is peeking out of his house. Seems very natural.
    Sid

    ReplyDelete