March 4, 2011

Assemble the Skyline #2


This is Nick, the drummer for Assemble the Skyline.  Of all the members of the band, he had the most definite ideas about how he wanted the photos to be.  Here he strikes a pose over his drums.  I like how relaxed he appeared and the overall contrast between the environment and him.
This photo was taken using my new PocketWizard Flex TT5s in iTTL mode.  I used two Nikon SB800 with umbrellas, positioned high right and left.  In addition, I had an Nikon SB800 mounted on the top of my PocketWizard Mini TT1, which was used as the master to control the other two flashes.  The flashes fired virtually every time.  However, I do believe there will be some learning curve on how best to use them.
Here, I think the flash add just enough light to bring Nick forward, add just enough light to the background to blend with the light outside of the window.  Overall, I think the lighting works.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, shot at ISO 800, f/8 and 1/90th of a second.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom 3—Set black and white points, added clarity and mid-tone contrast and vignetting.

5 comments:

  1. The drums and the window definitely help establish the environment. I really like how Nick is leaning towards the camera. That helps establish a strong connection between him and the viewer. Nice lighting.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice portrait but I wish that there was a little more light on his face.
    Dbbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good portrait.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. A natural looking portrait. It looks like you and Nick are carrying on a conversation over his drums. I like this one.
    Nidda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice portrait. Still I would like to see his face a little bigger in the image. The lighting is nice and soft.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete