June 11, 2010

Church of the Mountains


JD and I visited the Church of the Mountains on our way back from Emerald Lake.  The church sets in a rather deserted area with only a small walking path leading up to it.
Upon reaching the church, I took several shots of it from the front, but really did not like any of them because the background was not very interesting.  I walked around to the back of the building where I was provided with a wonderful view of the mountains and a setting sun. 
The color combination of the sky, mountains and church was not that interesting so I decided to convert the image to black and white.  I wanted to make sure that I retained all the details in the white church so I underexposed the image by ½ f-stop.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 shot at ISO 200, f/8 and 1/350th of a second.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom—Set black and white points and cropped photos.
Photoshop—converted photo to black and white using nik Silver Efex Pro.

7 comments:

  1. Great shot Larry. I love the contrast in this shot, and the textures. To me the church almost looks like porcelain compared to the rugged mountains in the background. This is one of my favorite Patrick shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed this one. Good subject which you captured beautifully. I like the contrast between the church and the mountains.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple but effective. Good composition and great use of B&W.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work. You have taken an unusual angle to this photo that helps add to its appeal.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. The composition appears a little too crowded. No room around the church.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tones and contrast. I really like how the lines in the mountain lead the eye to the church. Although they go there immediately anyway since it is the lightest thing in the frame, but the lines make my eyes go out and around and back to the church again. And I really like that tree in front of the church. This is a great example of turning around to see what is behind you and then using that to make a better image than what you would normally see. I also wish there was just a little more room around the church on the right, but with the new Content Aware feature in CS5, I know you could add some real estate there if you chose to, so it must be your artistic call. I can see why the congregation wanted a print of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have this on my wall. It seems like such a relaxing place.
    Sya

    ReplyDelete