November 4, 2011

Jay Maisel Workshop #6

-->
Jay did like this photo.  I liked it, but have some reservations about it.
Jay:  Did you ask this guy to pose for you?
Me:   No.  I saw this neat background and then waited for people to walk in front of it.  I liked this guy because he looked at me and because his shirt was a solid, bright color that seemed to go with the background.
Jay:  Although his look is not really an inviting look, it still draws the viewer into the scene.
Me:  I am not real happy with how I have him placed in the center of the frame.
Jay:  You talking about the rule of thirds?
Me:  Yes.
Jay:  @#%#*&! the rules!  Does the photo have impact?  Yes.  Does it draw you into it?  Yes.  So, @#%#*&! the rules!
My thought:  Not sure about that!
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 at 300mm, ISO 1,600, f/11 and 1/250th of a second.
Post Processing:  NONE!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Jay. I used my hand to crop your photo so that he would be on one of the power points. Guess what? The photo looked worse to me.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great background. Him being centered does not bother me.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete