November 1, 2011

Jay Maisel Workshop #5


Jay did not like this photo.  I liked it.
Jay:  What is this photo about?  I have no idea what you are trying to convey here.  There is nice light and an interesting shadow on the Brooklyn Bridge and then there are two homeless people.  What am I suppose to look at?  What am I suppose to think?  Did you trip your shutter by mistake?
Me:  It’s all about opposites—the largeness of the bridge versus the smallness of the men; the beautiful golden light on the top of the bridge versus the murky shadows on the bottom of the bridge; the cleanliness of the top of the bridge versus the dirt of the bottom of the bridge; and finally the dejected look of one man versus the smiling of the other man. 
Jay:  Yea, right.
You:  ?  
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 at 300mm, ISO 1,600, f/8 and 1/180th of second.
Post Processing:  NONE!

3 comments:

  1. I think your photo is similar to when I view modern paintings. When I first look at them, I do not get what they are about but then I read the title and I begin to see what the artist was doing. Here, Jay is right the photo does not stand on its own, you need some explanation. Good idea.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is I like it. The whole opposites idea is very understated. You have to study the photo before you see it. With your images I always enlarge them and study them for a few minutes before I read your comments; I do want what you say to influence my thinking about the photo. This is a photo that would need to be printed very large in order for you to see what you were going for.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete