October 18, 2011

Jay Maisel Workshop #3

What did Jay say about this one?  Well, it went something like this.
Jay:  Larry, what were you thinking when you took this?  Better yet, were you thinking when you took this image?
Larry:  I liked the way the little girl was looking at me.
Jay:  Did you notice the eyes of the doll?
Larry:  No, not really.  I only saw them when the photo came-up on my computer.
Jay:  So, you openly admit before me and your fellow students that what helps make this photo a really good street photo was just a lucky accident?
Larry:  Well, yes, I guess it was.
Jay:  In street photography, accidents happen.  Sometimes the accident helps your photos, and sometimes it &%$#*! your photo.  Accept both and just move on.  What helps make this photo is contrast:  the little girl’s look is so intense and the mother’s look is so passive; the dark little girl with her almost black eye and the lily-white doll with bright blue eyes.  The contrast draws you into the photo.  It makes you wonder.  I like this one.
Larry:  Thanks.
Jay:  You thanking me?  You should be on your knees thanking the photo gods for the blessings they bestowed on you.
Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Cool photo. Love the look.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have found your match in Jay. Look makes the photo.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it but I wished you had cropped the top part of the image. It does not add anything to the scene and in fact, distracts my view from the main part of the pix.
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Jay nailed it. The little girl's look is great but the two contrast is what draws you into the photo. I also agree with Taylor, the top part of the photo does not add anything to it. How about losing it? We won't tell Jay.
    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor and Sid suggested cropping the pix so I scrolled the photo up and down on my computer see the effect. I was amazed at how the photo became more intense as a cropped the top part of the pix. Good lesson for everyone. By the way, I do understand that you keeping with the spirit of the class and not cropping. Thanks for the lesson.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete