December 21, 2010

Dickens on the Strand #5


Today’s posting is a composite of three of the photos that I have previously posted and a photo of a poster that I took.
I do not know why I started this composite.  After looking at all my shots of Steampunk, I do know that I thought that they would make an interesting movie-type poster. 
There was not much technique to the combination.  I masked-off all of the people and sized them on the background.  I used soft light blending mode on all the people so that some of the background showed through their image.  I adjusted the opacity of each layer until I got the look that I wanted.
After I got all the people looking the way that I wanted, I decided that the poster needed something else.  I believe most people are like me and therefore, they would not know much about Steampunk. So, I decided that I should include a title.  I selected a typeface that I thought worked well with the overall poster.  Finally, I then put a black boarder around the outside of the composite.  I think  that the boarder gives the image that final touch that it needed.
Enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. Terrific.
    A Steampunker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely met your objective --- to create an interesting movie-type of poster. It has so much impact and there is so much to look at the eye just keeps going around and around in the frame to investigate all the elements. I think you started with 3 very interesting characters and your initial shots of them were great too. The added text just finishes it all off and truly elevates it to a Movie Poster (now they just need to make the movie...a little unorthodox maybe). The only thing I wonder about is the dark area on the far right that covers up some of that guy's face and neck --- I can't tell what it is and I think I would like the poster even more with that area masked off. You certainly submitted a unique composite --- great idea and execution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Steampunk. I love your poster. More like this one would be great.
    Tera

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Larry, I don't remember if you got a GOLD on this one at the BAPC Honors Night meeting but it was my fav for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly captured the essence of Steampunk with this one. Individually the photos are strong, but as a composite they are remarkable.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the composite is awesome Larry. I would think it would fit in well on the site for Airship Isabella @ http://www.airshipisabella.com/. Have you approached them with your photo yet? I'm sure they would be interested.

    No gold Larry. I believe 20 points was 1 shy of "Gold" at his level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of mine turned me onto your site and I spent over two hours looking at a lot of your past postings. You capture people very well. You seem to understand how to get to their essence. I do not understand how you consistently get such clean background that set your subject off. I love street photography but never seem to get those type of backgrounds. Could you explain your thought process in one of your future post? You have a new reader. Keep up the good work.
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poster is great. The individual photos are also. Glad you got the idea for this one.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with Doug, I think this would be a great poster for the Airship Isabella group. I think I would buy this if it was offered. Nice job.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning image. Lots of eye candy with a outstanding composition and color pallet.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Tyler hit on the question that I would like you to answer: how do you get these shots in a crowed place? I never seem to be able to get them. Please address this sometime. I view your blog regularly but have never commented on anything before. Your photos are often both inspirational and instructional. Thanks.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Tina and Tyler (sounds like a singing group). I feel many of us would find it helpful. Thanks for your work and Merry Christmas.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete