August 6, 2010

BAPC Field Trip—Portraits #3


Sometimes portraits are more about the person’s personality than their face.  In this portrait of Catherine, I wanted to show-off her brightly painted finger nails.  I thought that the finger nails would add some of her personality to the photo.
I underexposed the background by about 1½ f-stops so that all the attention would be drawn to Catherine.  I wanted the photo to be about her eyes and painted finger nails.  I was happy with the exposure and the basic elements of the photograph, but I should have had Catherine spread the fingers of her left hand so that all of her left eye was exposed and also had her place her hands more gentle on her face in order not push on her face. 
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3X, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 shot at 70mm, ISO 200, f/8 and 1/180th of a second with Elinchrom Softbox at camera left.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom—Set black and white points, increased mid-tone contrast and changed saturation of various colors.

6 comments:

  1. I like everything about this portrait of Catherine --- her pose is unusual and definitely shows something more about her than the standard head/shoulders shot. The background is interesting too and almost makes it look like she is near some Roman ruin (a Galveston ruin is almost the same, right?). And the lighting is so nice and even too. Her expression looks like she is enjoying the session and having a little fun. A fun and creative portrait, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought something different to the table and I like it. By putting her hands over her face, you appear to have made my eyes go immediately to her eyes and then to her finger tips where I thought "fun."
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different. Do not know whether I like it or not.
    Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting pose; I like it. Nice exposure and framing. Great job pulling the viewer into the photo to see what you wanted us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot packed of information packed into this one. You told me a lot about Catherine.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You showed me something different in a portrait. I like the photo because it says something about her. Not sure that the background goes with the pose.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete