November 20, 2008

Texas Renaissance Festival #4—Opportunity Squandered


Camera settings: Nikon D3, 70-210 f/2.8 at 90mm, shot at ISO 200, f/4.8 and 1/125.

Post Processing: Lightroom—tweak white balance, set white and black point, and added mid-tone contrast, cloned some small spots out of image, cropped to 11x14 format.

When this image appeared on my computer in Lightroom, I thought: nice photo. Then I started studying the image and thought: boy, did I make a mess of a wonderful opportunity to take a really good photograph. I was presented with: a subject who was willing to move in front of the background that I chose; a very warm person whose face was very easy to photograph; a colorful background that complemented the subject’s colors; and a spot that was ideal for lighting with one strobe.

What did I do with all of this? Not much.

What should I have done with all of this? First, I should have placed her further away from the background. I had probably 15 feet of shade in front of the flowers that I could have used. This would have turned the background into an array of colors rather than “somewhat out-of-focus flowers.” In addition, it would have separated her better from the background by giving better distinction between: properly exposed subject vs. under exposed background; and in-focus subject vs. out-of-focus background. You would have then seen a clear distinction between the flowers in her hair and the background flowers. Next, I should have composed the shot so that I had more room above her head. This would have made it easier to move around the photograph. She has nice eyes; yet, her hair is partly covering one of them. I think a little movement of the hair would have provided a more compelling look. Finally, with her being moved away from the background, I should have moved the light (which is positioned camera right and was feathered in front of her to make it soft and keep it off the background) to 60-degree angle from her face. This would have given a better lighting to the cape she was wearing and thus helped separated her better from the background.

I did press the right button to take the photograph!

Will I make a mistake like this again? Probably.

Can I have a “do over”?

5 comments:

  1. Hello Patrick!
    Thanks for pointing out all the problems with this photo...otherwise I wouldn't have noticed! :-)
    Beautiful girl and a terrific photograph even with some "flaws". If the background bothers you a lot then I suppose you could consider an extremely close crop (we really only care about the girl in this photo anyway)?
    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your suggestions might have made it better but how do you know before you push the shutter? I think that busy backgrounds usually make getting a good portrait very hard.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your write up. I agree doing all of the things that you suggested would probably made it a better photo. How do remember to do all of those things before you press the button? One recommendations, when you point out the faults of a picture, pick a more average photo. This one is still pretty durn good.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with Helen. i learned a lot reading what you should have done. if you could only produce a shot that would show the new improved version of the pix. keep the bad shots coming so that we can learn a little.
    Pati

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you cannot have a do over. How would I learn anything if you got a do over?
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete