April 24, 2013

Spring Break—No. 5

 



I believe that if you are a photographer and go to Washington, D.C., you must photograph a subway station.  I think the boys in D.C. did a good job designing the subway stations.  However, I do not like the subway system in D.C. because it is not  nearly as user-friendly as the New York or Paris systems.
Here, I wanted to show the station and put some movement into the shot so I used a shutter speed of ½ of a second.  I waited until a train was entering the station.  It is my understanding that you cannot use a tripod so I braced my elbows on my knees to help stabilize the camera.
I like the movement of the train, the details of the station and how the light plays on different parts of the station.
Enjoy
Camera settings:  Nikon D4, 28-300mm f/3.5~5.6 at 44mm, ISO 1400, f/11 at 1/2 of a second with my camera supported on my knees.
Post Processing:
Lightroom 4—applied Nikon Vivid preset during import, set white and black points and added vibrance.

7 comments:

  1. I have seen many photos of the DC subway stations but this is my new favorite.
    A DCer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the shot. Hand held at 1/2 second? Impressive.
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great image. It reminds me a little of one of mine several years ago in DC. It's funny because back then I was using Lucis Art on everything and opening up the shadows. Yours is so much better with the natural shadows. Really nice. Here's mine for reference -- only braved 1/10 sec handheld.
    http://www.schuenkephotography.blogspot.com/2009/05/dupont-circle.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job! They should buy this one. You use the 28-300mm f/3.5~5.6 a great deal. Is this your new favorite lens for travel and walks? Hope getting back up wasn't toooo much trouble. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that lens your favorite? Like how you took an ordinary scene and made it into a photograph. Good work. Enjoy your blog.
    Tammara

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was your thought process before taking this pix? I would never have thought about using that slow of shutter speed. Like your results.
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete