October 10, 2012

My Vacation—Part 11

 

My final photo of my Maine vacation and also lighthouses of Maine is the Nubble Lighthouse in York.  This is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world.  So, naturally, I had to try my hand at it.
The lighthouse is no an island about 200 yards from the mainland.  The photograph was taken at sunset (which was behind and to my left as you can see from the light hitting the island).  I waited until the light turned golden and then I played around with my white balance until I got the color that I wanted.  I tried various f-stops until I got everything in focus that I wanted in focus.
Although the light on the island was stunning, the sky behind the lighthouse had very little color in it.  I purposely underexposed the shot by about ½ of an f-stop to help saturate the colors.
Overall, I was happy with the results, but I wished that the clouds would have had more color.  Maybe next time!
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D4, 28-300mm f/3.5~5.6 with at 28mm, ISO 800, f/16 at 1/45th of a seconds on a tripod and used my self-timer to trigger the camera (did not have my cable release with me—it was back in my hotel room).
Post Processing:  
Lightroom 4—applied Landscape preset during import and adjusted various colors luminance and saturation.

7 comments:

  1. I think you saved the best for last. Love the photo. Was wondering why the rocks in the foreground do not have that golden look to them.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that this is your best vacation shot of the bunch. Many good shots in the batch, but this one stands out. Color is great and love the framing. It's also special becasue I've seen it and shot it. Unfortunately, when I was shooting it had been raining non-stop in New England for a week.

    The cables to the left of the shot are for power and a car that rides across to the island like a small gondola. Otherwise, boat is the only other access.

    Ted, the sun is setting behind and to the left of his location and has reached the bottom of the island. The light is going up the rocks as the sun drops behind him. If I'm not wrong, he's actually shooting more towards the northeast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What strikes me about this photo is the mood that it seems to have. Like it a lot.
    Tellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Doug I like how you framed the lighthouse between the rocks and the clouds. It makes the golden light pop even more.
    Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Doug, I have also been there and also like Doug, I got nothing like this. I think Larry is down on a lower level near the water and that area is being shaded from the setting sun. That is why the color is different. Great job.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live about 5 miles from Nubble Light and have photographed it many times. This is one of best photos that I have ever seen of it. I have seen the light hit the island like this many times but have never seemed to capture it the way that you did. You got the richness of the colors without making the whole scene look over saturated. Are you offering this for sale?
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also live in Maine but am not a photographer. Your blog was forwarded to by four different people from Maine. I looked over your photos of my state and want to say, thank you.
    Rommel

    ReplyDelete