December 9, 2011

Jay Maisel Workshop #13


Jay:  Where did you find this much green in New York City?
Me:  Bryant Park
Jay: Three things make this photo successful.  One, the harmony of the colors.  Two, the soft lighting on her.  And, three, her very pleasant and warm look.  Her eyes are engaging the viewer.  Nice, but I am not sure that I would consider this to be street photography.
Me:  I refer to this type of shot as street portraits because I often move the subject and do some directing.  She was setting in a chair and I just moved the chair to face another direction so that I would have the ivy as my background. 
Jay:  I like the term.  But, I am not sure what criteria I would use to judge it.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 at 120mm, ISO 1,600, f/5.6 and 1/500th of a second.
Post Processing:  None!

5 comments:

  1. I struggle with the same thing. It's not a formal portrait in any sense of that description. This is a random subject captured on the street. It's not truly street photography, as it is too intimate (I think) to convey any sense of the environment. So what do we call it?

    Nice capture by the way. Even though she is smiling I don't think she is comfortable having her photo taken. I like the shot for the nice soft background, colors and eye contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See there is green in NYC. Very pleasant look on her face. I would be happy with this as a formal portrait.
    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don care if this is a street photography or not, I think it is a nice portrait. Although I do not know this woman, I feel that I can discern her personality from your photo. Good portrait.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are so vibrant, and her expression is very engaging. Street portrait, street photography, whatever you call it, (and with no post processing, wow!)--- it is great!

    ReplyDelete