September 9, 2011

What I Did on My Vacation #10

You have now left the Galapagos Islands and you are in Peru—Cuzco, Peru to be exact.  Cuzco was the capital of the Incas.  On a hilltop overlooking Cuzco is Sacsayhuman, which is an outstanding representation of Inca engineering and building skills.  Stones for the ruins were quarried over four miles from the ruins.  The Incas did not have any metal tools to quarry the stones or wheels to move them.  Just image the effort that was required to put these stones in place.  Complicating the planning and building even more was the fact that the Incas did not have a written language.  With all of this in mind, I must admit my mind was blown.
The first things that struck me as I walked around the ruins was the precision of the stone work and the shear size of the stones.  Today, I present three photos that hopefully will communicate this:  the first photo is of JD’s hand and a seam between two of the stones; the second photo is of JD standing in front of the largest stone (estimated to be 350 tons) in the ruins; and, the final photo is of a key that was used to join the stones.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. The key is pretty cool but how did it work? I think every woman would like to be photographed in front of a 350 ton rock. It is very slimming.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete