July 15, 2011

Words of Light

Last Tuesday the assignment for Bay Area Photography Club was a photo taken at night.  I have not done much night photography so I was very interested in seeing what I could do.  I had tons of ideas of what would be neat, but because of laziness and lack of skill, I did none of my great ideas.  Take me at my word, all fifty of my great ideas were definitely world class photos.
Today’s photo is of the “a, a” sculpture at the University of Houston.  I had seen the sculpture while taking some portraits of outstanding students for the university.  I wanted to capture all the details so I took nine shots at one-stop increments.  I custom set the white balance in my camera so that the lights would take on a warmer glow.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3x, Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 at 20mm, ISO 200, f/8 and with shutter speeds (nine exposures in one-stop increments) from 1/4th of a second to 30 seconds on a tripod.
Post Processing:  
Nik HDR Pro—combined and tone mapped six images.
Photoshop CS5—removed a crane and a couple red flowers that were distracting, used lens correction filter to straighten building’s distortion and sharpened image using the high pass filter method.

9 comments:

  1. There is so much to see in this photo. I like the fact that it almost seems to imply motion within the image, with the angles of the letters radiating out in a circular fashion. Really great job on this one Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is SPECTACULAR! The image has so much impact and then it draws you closer to look at all the detail. I agree with Doug, there is somehow a feeling of motion with the almost sundial effect of the light rays. I know that even if I had attempted this shot, I would never have gotten what you got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impact both in the subject matter, the colors and your handling of it. Great photo.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lot of impact. Colors and composition are great.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I did not believe you when you said this was on the U of H campus. I have been on the campus hundreds of times at night and never saw. Friday night, my wife and I visited the campus and sure enough there it was. Your white balance change was brilliant. I definitely added a lot more punch to the photo. Plan to try and copy your efforts in the near future. Thank for the inspiration.
    Algie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen a couple photos of this, but after seeing yours, the other photos are pretty poor. Love the composition that makes you want to walk into the scene and the colors.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring photo.
    Tel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding!!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete