October 26, 2010

Bird Photography by a Non-Bird Photographer 101—Lesson 2


I hope this photo generates a few comments and possibly a little disagreement among the viewers since my last post seems to have fallen on blind eyes.
Many people maintain that a viewer’s eyes go immediately to the brightest point of a photo.  I do not think that is correct; and, I believe a lot of research supports my view.  The research states that the eye generally goes to what the mind most readily recognizes, then the portion with the highest contrast, then the sharpest, then most saturated colors and finally to the brightest portion.  They do indicated that bright distracting points of a photo can distract the eyes but if the main subject has sufficient impact and interest, then the eyes will return to the main subject.
My last post generated several comments about wanting more separation.  I agree that good separation of the subject and the background does make the subject stand-out from the background.  In today’s post, I tried to create separation by depth-of-field and contrast in brightness. 
I used spot metering on the bird to determine my exposure.  I knew that by doing this that the background would be considerably brighter than the gull.  I was not afraid of the eyes going to the background because of how sharp and recognizable the gull is in the photo.  I believe that all the details in the bird’s feathers will generally keep the viewer’s interest and focus.  I have included a second photo to make it easier to see the details of the bird and the effect of the limited depth-of-field to separate the bird from the background.
Enjoy.
Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 shot at 180mm, ISO 200, f/5.6 and 1/250th of a second on a tripod.
Post Processing:  
Lightroom—Set black and white points, adjusted saturation of various colors, added mid-tone contrast and vignetting.

7 comments:

  1. I do not find the gull to be that interesting of a bird to photograph, but I do think that the technical aspects of this one is quite good. Nice color balance and find DOF utilization.
    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell us that you are not a very good bird photographer and then you post bird photos. Why? I like your landscape and people photos.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seagulls are just not interesting. Sorry.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have good separation and great detail in the seagull however there is little contrast between the colors. All the colors in the photo appear to be equally boring.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. this page replica bags pakistan Prada Dolabuy replica bags prada her latest blog replica prada nylon bags

    ReplyDelete