April 20, 2010

Dateline: Thursday, April 15, 2009, Friendswood, TX

On the morning in question, I wondered down the stairs where two envelopes were laying on the table. One envelope contained my tax return and a check; the other envelope contained an even bigger check for my first quarter estimated income tax payment. I had my morning coffee and stared at the two envelopes. After my morning coffee, I headed to the post office to mail the envelopes.

JD and I had decided a few weeks back that we would attend one of the Tea Party rallies on April 15th. But, I must admit, I was a little nervous about going to a rally where a bunch of red neck, homophobic, bigoted, anti-American people were assembling. The New York Times told me that was the kind of people that I would meet at one of these Tea Party rallies.
I decided to take a few shots of this angry mob and maybe pick up a some bucks when I sold the shots to the New York Times. Following is what I got—including one of their attack dogs.
Enjoy.


12 comments:

  1. It's a motley crew allright Patrick! I think the New York Times is just confused when they see a protest that doesn't include a lot of profanity, lewd conduct, destruction of property, and general anarchy. They can't, or don't want to, understand what they are looking at. Oh yea - nice shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can see that you Texans really know how to throw a party! I guess the New York Times needs to get out and about a little more or open their eyes and ears. I enjoyed your documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job documenting the event Patrick! It must have been hard to frame shots that didn't include the riot police? :-)

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended my first Tea Party. I was shocked. I was expecting something like your description from the New York Times. I encountered nothing but honest, hard working Americans. I agreed with most of the things that were being said, both from the speakers and from the attendees.
    An African American Woman

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also attend my first. It will not be my last one. People were nice and friendly. I think your images captured the spirit of the crowd that I saw.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not attended a Tea Party but I do not think a publication as respectable as the New York Times would be making all of this up.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like riot to me. How did you make it out alive. You must be tuff.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not attend but I drove by a Tea Party and your photos seem to confirm my basic observation. The people at the rally seemed to be law bidding citizens. Why all the fuzz by the media?
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a Tea Party up here on Saturday. Your photos looked like the ones I took. Nice job.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you did not get to close to the attach dogs. They could put some real hurt on you. Nice job documenting what the mainstream media will not.
    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  11. NYT Reader:
    I wished my country would allow something like the Tea Party. Americans are lucky to have such freedom.
    Tesia (Russia)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find your presentation amusing. I look to your blog for photography, not social or political commentary. I find some of the comments made by others as disturbing.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete